To create this Demi Panier, artisans first harvest dried leaves from the outside of the living banana tree. They then prepare the leaves, twisting them and weaving around a form to get the perfect size every time. We love that these baskets are crafted from all-natural banana leaves, a renewable resource. And you can imagine the artisans and their families eating the bananas from the trees as well!
The Handcrafted Details
- 11.5 x 6 x 6 inches
- Woven banana twine
- Open hand-holds
- Crafted from locally-gathered banana leaves, a renewable resource.
- Handmade by the artisans of CPEFO Amizero “Hope” Cooperative.
- Care: Wipe with a damp cloth.
- Ethically crafted by a person in rural Rwanda.
- Azizi Life is a member of the Fair Trade Federation and committed to fair trade principles.
- Every product supports our community impact projects.
- Also available in Rwanda at the Ellen DeGeneres Campus of the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund.
CPEFO Amizero Cooperative
The three young artisans of CPEFO Amizero have two main things in common. The first is their background of poverty and struggle. As youth, Sixbert, Media and Clementine were orphaned and became heads of their households, caring for younger siblings and elders. But the members of this small cooperative also hold something else in common: Together, we are determined to use our craft for income and the betterment of our families.Meet the Artisan